I mentioned in my Challenges 2014 post that I will be signing up to Adam's TBR Pile Challenge this year. Initially I was thinking that yes, I really need to make some headway with the embarrassingly large pile of unread books threatening to take over my house. Then, over the New Year, I had a slight epiphany about my bookish habits and decided that rather than feeling tied to my TBR, I am going to celebrate it and make the most of the treasures I may have lurking in its depths. For that reason, I am now approaching the challenge with a renewed vitality and definitely renewed interest in what my stacks have to offer.
1. Orlando by Virginia Woolf (1928)
2. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (1966)
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (1939)
4. Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (1984)
5. Beloved by Toni Morrison (1987)
6. Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee (1959)
7. Uncanny Stories by May Sinclair (1923)
8. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (1940)
9. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak (2005)
10. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1850)
11. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle (1887)
12. The Mystery of Mrs Blencarrow by Mrs Oliphant (1890)
1. Good Evening, Mrs Craven by Mollie Panter-Downes (1999 - collated by Persephone)
2. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (1847)
I am really quite excited by this list but also feeling quite anxious about one or two (Woolfy, I love you but Orlando just seems terrifying). I am really looking forward to seeing how this 'discovering my TBR' goes and perhaps now is the right time to get to the couple of books on this list I've had on the pile since I was 15 (I'm now 23...).
Have you read any of these? Do I have any in common with your TBR Challenge list?